Personal tools

Set body text to small Set body text to normal Set body text to large


    You are here: Home / School Students / School Student Transport Scheme

    School Student Transport Scheme

    About the scheme

    The School Student Transport Scheme (SSTS) provides subsidised public transport for eligible school students whilst making journeys between home and school.

    picture of busThe scheme is managed by Transport for NSW and you should visit the Transport for NSW website for detailed information about the scheme, including:

    • Eligibility
    • The Code of Conduct for School Students on Buses
    • How to appeal against an eligibility decision.


    The role of the State Transit Authority is to issue passes to eligible students for travel on State Transit services, and replacement passes, if necessary. State Transit also offers Term Passes for those students who do not meet eligibility criteria. More information on Term Passes.


    Not every school student is entitled to subsidised travel. In summary, to be eligible for the scheme an applicant must be:

    • A resident of NSW
    • 4 years and 6 months of age or older andenrolled as one of the following -
      • An infant student (K-2) regardless of the distance between their home and school
      • Primary student (Years 3-6) who lives more than 1.6 km (radial distance) from school, or 2.3 km or more by the most direct practical walking route to the nearest entry point to the school
      • Secondary student (Year 7-12) who lives more than 2 km (radial distance) from school, or 2.9 km or more by the most direct practical walking route to the nearest entry point to the school

    TAFE students are also eligible if they are under 18 years of age at 1st January of the year of application and are:

    • Enrolled in a full-time TAFE course for a minimum of 20 hours a week
    • Not employed
    • Living more than 3.2 km from the college by the most direct practical walking route, and
    • Attending the college closest to their home where enrollment is available.

    Visit the Transport for NSW website for more details.

    Changing Your Address

    A 'change of address' form will need to be picked up and returned to the school.

    Deemed Ineligible?

    Parents or guardians of students deemed ineligible by the above criteria who consider the health or safety of their child would be at risk without free transport, may lodge and appeal to Transport for NSW.

    How to Apply

    Application forms are available from the student's school or TAFE.

    Completed application forms should be returned to the school/TAFE for processing.

    If the student is under 16 years of age, the application must be signed by a parent or guardian.

    Replacement passes

    Document Actions